Welcome to The x3270 Wiki
This Wiki contains documentation for the x3270 family of IBM 3270 terminal emulators.
The x3270 Wiki is organized in two ways: Hierarchically and by categories.
Hierarchical pages have a slash (/) in their names. The pages under each specific emulator are generally organized in a hierarchy. For example, the page that describes how c3270 keymaps work is called c3270/keymap.
Pages can also belong to one or more categories. Typical categories are command-line options and resources. There are also sub-categories, for example, c3270 command-line options. The list of all categories is (here).
The Wiki also make extensive use of hyperlinks. Wherever possible, a term that is defined elsewhere in the Wiki is always represented by a hyperlink.
- x3270 is the original version. It is a graphical interactive 3270 emulator that runs on Linux, Solaris, MacOS (with XQuartz installed), FreeBSD and other POSIX-based operating systems.
- wx3270 is a modern interactive graphical 3270 emulator for Microsoft Windows.
- c3270 is an interactive 3270 emulator that runs on a character-mode terminal on POSIX systems. A character-mode terminal can be an emulator such as xterm, gnome-terminal, kterm, a MacOS Terminal window, or a Linux console, or a real hardware terminal such as a DEC VT100.
- wc3270 is an interactive 3270 emulator that runs in a console window on Microsoft Windows.
Screen scraping tools
- s3270 is screen-scraping tool. (On Windows, it is also called ws3270.)
- tcl3270 is a wrapper around s3270 that facilitates writing Tcl scripts for screen scraping.
- pr3287 is an IBM 3287 printer emulator. It can be used in conjunction with one of the interactive terminal emulators to associate a printer with the login session, or it can run standalone to direct mainframe print jobs to a printer on a workstation. (On Windows, it is also called wpr3287.)
- b3270 is a generic back end for 3270 emulators. b3270 implements the 3270 protocol and host input/output, and communicates with a front end application using a simple XML-based protocol..
A note on versions
This Wiki describes the current releases of the x3270 family. Features added in release 4.0 and above are clearly identified either inline or in a Version history section at the bottom.
For additional information, try the original x3270 Webpage.