The Operator Information Area (OIA) is an extra line at the bottom of a 3270 terminal display. It contains status information for the emulator and the session with the host.
The interactive emulators each implement the OIA in slightly different ways, but the same basic information is presented, going roughly from left to right:
- Connection state
- The type and mode of the connection.
- Message area
- Transient messages, such as an indication that the keyboard is locked and why.
- Keyboard mode
- Indicators for the Shift and Alt keys, plus APL mode.
- TLS state for the session
- Indicators for screen tracing, printer session, etc.
- Cursor position
- The current cursor position (row/column, with 001/001 at the upper left).