Welcome to The x3270 Wiki
This Wiki contains documentation for the x3270 family of IBM 3270 terminal emulators.
The x3270 Wiki is organized in two ways: Hierarchically and by categories.
Hierarchical pages have a slash (/) in their names. The pages under each specific emulator are generally organized in a hierarchy. For example, the page that describes how c3270 keymaps work is called c3270/keymap.
Pages can also belong to one or more categories. Typical categories are command-line options and resources. There are also sub-categories, for example, c3270 command-line options. The list of all categories is (here).
The Wiki also make extensive use of hyperlinks. Wherever possible, a term that is defined elsewhere in the Wiki is always represented by a hyperlink.
- x3270 is the original version. It is a graphical interactive 3270 emulator that runs on Linux, Solaris, MacOS (with XQuartz installed), FreeBSD and other POSIX-based operating systems.
- wx3270 is a modern interactive graphical 3270 emulator for Microsoft Windows.
- c3270 is an interactive 3270 emulator that runs on a character-mode terminal on POSIX systems. A character-mode terminal can be an emulator such as xterm, gnome-terminal, kterm, a MacOS Terminal window, or a Linux console, or a real hardware terminal such as a DEC VT100.
- wc3270 is an interactive 3270 emulator that runs in a console window on Microsoft Windows.
Screen scraping tools
- s3270 is screen-scraping tool. (On Windows, it is also called ws3270.)
- tcl3270 is a wrapper around s3270 that facilitates writing Tcl scripts for screen scraping.
- pr3287 is an IBM 3287 printer emulator. It can be used in conjunction with one of the interactive terminal emulators to associate a printer with the login session, or it can run standalone to direct mainframe print jobs to a printer on a workstation. (On Windows, it is also called wpr3287.)
- b3270 is a generic back end for 3270 emulators. b3270 implements the 3270 protocol and host input/output, and communicates with a front end application using a simple XML-based protocol..
A note on versions
This Wiki describes the x3270 family release 4.0 and wx3270 release 1.0. Much of the information pertains to earlier versions, but fair amount of it does not. For earlier versions, try the x3270 web page.
For additional information, try the original x3270 Webpage.